ONCE ANNUAL CALL FOR ENTRY FAQs & GUIDELINES
View the 2020 Award & Grant recipients winning work here.
• All of CENTER’s Awards, Grants, and Review Santa Fe are open for submission to all photographers, national and international.
• Work derived from all photographic processes is accepted, as well as mixed media work that is photo-based.
• Only the Excellence in Multimedia Award accepts video, multimedia files and/or still images for submission.
• Work can have been made at any time and work that has been submitted previously may be re-submitted.
• NOT ELIGIBLE: If a project has been part of a major metropolitan museum one or two-person exhibition; published in book form by a major photographic publishing house with a print run of 2,000 or more; and/or the photographer is represented by a major international photographic agency. Applies to the Project Development Grant, Project Launch Grant, and the me&EVE Award ONLY.
• Grant funds may be used for most expenses related to the project. Please be aware that no funds in addition to the $5,000 are available for exhibition or travel expenses to Santa Fe. However, you may use the $5,000 for those expenses. The cash award is the total amount dispersed.
• Grant recipients are required to sign a contract and must fulfill contractual obligations in order to receive the full funds. A grant report will be due at the end of the contract. Submission to the Project Launch Grant, Project Development Grant and/or the me&EVE Award indicates acceptance of these terms.
If you have any questions about your eligibility for our calls for entry, please email us before submitting your application.
CRITERIA & THE JURY PROCESS
Q: WHAT ARE THE SELECTION CRITERIA?
A: 1) Projects, as well as all submitted text, should be examples of excellence within the discipline, both visually and conceptually. 2) The award winners should be at a place in their work and career where they can benefit from the exposure, networks, and opportunities that CENTER offers. 3) The photographer must be committed and able to ensure the advancement of the project with the grant funds and support received.
Q: DO YOU “PRE-SCREEN”?
A: No, all work submitted is seen by the jurors only.
Q: WHAT ARE JURORS LOOKING FOR?
A: The jurors are looking for cohesive, compelling bodies of work that are ready for international recognition.
Q: WILL I RECEIVE FEEDBACK ON THE WORK?
A: Due to the number of submissions the committee is unable to provide specific feedback at this time but we will let you know if the work advances to the higher rounds of judging.
Q: IS THERE A TIME LIMIT WITHIN WHICH THE PHOTOGRAPHS SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN?
A: No, you may submit any photograph regardless of the date it was taken.
Q: MAY I SEND MY BOOK, POSTER, EXHIBITION ANNOUNCEMENT, ETC.?
A: Websites, books, posters, announcements, and other materials will not be seen by the judges or reviewed for submission.
Q: CAN WE APPLY AS A DUO OR GROUP?
A: Yes, please use one artist’s name and information on the application, and in your project statement note that this is a collaboration and includes all names. Please note that winners will receive one slot at Review Santa Fe, so the group would sit together in front of each reviewer.
Q: WHEN IS THE DEADLINE?
A: January 30, 2020 for discounted entry fees and February 25, 2020 for the final submission and refund deadline.
Q: WHERE DO I APPLY/UPLOAD FILES?
A: Once you have submitted payment, you will receive an email with further instructions. The online payment form & application is currently closed for 2020.
• All images/files must be uploaded through our online system
• Submitting JPGs – size at 1400 pixels on the longest side and at 72 dpi
• Accepted Multimedia File Types – PDF, JPG, MP3, Mp4, and MOV *applies to the Multimedia Award ONLY
• Please keep video and audio files to under 3 minutes in length and under 200MB *applies to the Multimedia Award ONLY
• To successfully order files during upload, we suggest you rename files before uploading them as they are uploaded and organized in alpha order. Begin the filename with a lower-case alphabetical letter. Include the title in the filename after the letter and underscore. (ex: a_Title.jpg, b_Title.jpg, c_Title.jpg).
Q: I JUST PAID, WHAT DO I DO NEXT?
A: CENTER will send you an email with the link to submit your application(s).
Q: WHERE IS MY CONFIRMATION EMAIL?
A: Please check your spam/junk folder, if you don’t find it please email us to troubleshoot.
Q: WHY DO I HAVE TO REGISTER TO APPLY?
A: Registering for a free account with Submittable saves your contact information and allows you to choose a password so that you may log back in at any time to continue uploading or editing your submission(s). Please note you must create or have a CENTER x Submittable account in order to successfully submit your application.
Q: I’VE APPLIED TO CENTER’S CALL FOR ENTRIES IN THE PAST. DO I STILL NEED TO REGISTER WITH SUBMITTABLE?
A: Everyone who wants to apply must register or login to their CENTER x Submittable account. However, if you already have a CENTER x Submittable account, please use that login.
Q: HOW CAN I EDIT MY SUBMISSION?
A: Only once you have submitted your application can you request to edit it. If you need to make changes you may write to us and request we re-open your submission for changes.
You may make changes until the FINAL DEADLINE of February 25, 2020.
Q: MAY I SUBMIT TWO OR MORE BODIES OF WORK TO THE SAME CATEGORY?
A: Yes, you can submit more than one portfolio to the same category, however you must pay for an additional entry*.
*THIS APPLIES TO ALL CATEGORIES FOR SUBMISSION
Q: MAY I ENTER WORK THAT HAS BEEN PUBLISHED IN A MAGAZINE?
A: You may submit work that has been published in a magazine to the Project Launch Grant and the me&EVE Award ONLY.
Q: DO THE CHOICE AWARDS REQUIRE A PROJECT STATEMENT?
A: No. However, we do have an area for a short statement and recommend including titles if relevant.
Q: DO THE ACCEPT OR REQUIRE A RÉSUMÉ OR CV FOR APPLICATION?
A: No we do not accept or review any résumé’s or artist CVs that are submitted or emailed to us.
Q: MAY I SEND PRINTS, BOOKS, POSTERS, EXHIBITION ANNOUNCEMENTS, ETC. FOR SUBMISSION?
A: Prints, books, posters, announcements, and other physical materials sent to us will not be seen by the judges and will not be reviewed for submission to our Calls for Entry.
• REQUIRED for Review Santa Fe, Me&EVE Award, Excellence in Multimedia Award, Project Launch and Project Development Grants [limited to 325 words]
• NOT REQUIRED for the Three Choice Awards ONLY – Curator’s, Director’s & Editor’s Choice [limited to 100 words]
• Please indicate the process or medium used and the intended final exhibition dimensions (ex. if you plan to exhibit the work as 8×10 black and white negatives, 20×24 gelatin silver prints, 35mm slides, 11×14 archival inkjet prints, etc).
Q: HOW IMPORTANT IS THE PROJECT STATEMENT?
A: The project statement is very important and will often move a submission forward in the judging process or conversely, a poorly executed statement will eliminate the project.
Q: WHAT SHOULD THE STATEMENT ADDRESS?
A: The first sentence of your statement should include a short synopsis of the project. The overall statement should address the “why” more than the “what.” For example, address why you decided to photograph the subject and what your photographs are meant to convey. You should also indicate the process and medium used.
Q: WHERE DO I UPLOAD MY STATEMENT?
A: You will upload your artist statement within our online application form that is provided via a link.
Q: MAY I COMBINE BLACK & WHITE AND COLOR IMAGES INTO ONE BODY OF WORK?
A: Yes, all types of image processes are allowed into each submission.
Q: MAY I ENTER TWO OR MORE BODIES OF WORK?
A: Yes, you can submit more than one project, however, you MUST pay for and submit a NEW application for each body of work.
Q: WHY IS THERE A SUBMISSION FEE?
A: CENTER is a not-for-profit organization founded in 1994, that honors, supports, and provides opportunities for gifted and committed photographers. We compensate all of the jurors and provide an orientation for them to ensure mutual investment in the process. The jurors are given about one month to review the work, without any pre-screening, so all of the submissions are seen by the jurors. Also, CENTER keeps all of the submissions in our database and is referenced for upcoming exhibition or publishing opportunities. We provide access to the jurors long after the judging, allowing them to also reference work. So even if a submission is not a winner, it has the possibility to live on in other ways throughout the year.
Q: WHAT IF I CANNOT AFFORD THE SUBMISSION FEE?
Submission fee waivers are available on a case-by-case basis for photographers that cannot afford the entry fee’s for whatever reason. To apply, you must fill out our Submission Fee Waiver Request Form before the Fee Waiver deadline of FEB 19.
For any additional questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and Conditions
WHO CAN ENTER:
The Awards, Grants, and Review Santa Fe are open to submissions from all photographers, national and international. CENTER employees, board members, advisory council members, contest sponsors, and family members of the aforementioned may not apply to the Awards, Grants and/or Review Santa Fe Photo Festival. Previous CENTER cash award winners may enter but are ineligible to win first, second, third, or Honorable Mention again for up to 3 years. Honorable Mention finalists may enter and are eligible to win.
Application fees for all categories are non-refundable.
International submissions are welcome. International winners are responsible for the duties and shipping of any prizes awarded. Please note, CENTER is not liable for damage as a result of shipping, packaging or delivery work for exhibitions, Review Santa Fe or our Summer programs.
The photographer retains the rights to the images. By completing the application, the photographer grants CENTER permission to reproduce works from their submitted materials in connection with the administration, judging and promotion of CENTER, the CENTER Awards, Grants and portfolio review events. Permissible uses of the images submitted shall include their reproduction, distribution and display in CENTER exhibitions, multimedia presentations, and printed materials related to the promotion of CENTER and the CENTER Awards and events. CENTER shall have the right to grant permissions to the press and publicity agents in connection with the promotion of the CENTER Awards, exhibitions, and related events. All Grant recipients, including the Honorable Mentions, as well as the winners of the CENTER’s Choice Awards, are asked to donate a print to CENTER. Submission of an entry to these awards, grants or portfolio review, signifies acceptance of all conditions stated.
Submission entry to any of CENTER’s Awards, Grants or portfolio review, signifies acceptance of all the above conditions stated.